Here’s how to take part in the Prosery Prompt:
- Write a piece of flash fiction or other prose up of up to or exactly 144 words,
- Including the given line from the poem.
- Post your Prosery piece on your blog and link back to this post.
- Place the link to your actual post (not your blog url) on the Mister Linky page.
- Please visit other blogs and comment on their posts!
This evening I would like you to write a Prose piece which includes the line:
“I’d like, too, to plant the sweet alyssum that smells like honey and peace.” from the poem, “What I would like to grow in my Garden.”
“Total all-encompassing darkness even though the midday sun burns my face!”
Brian paused as he processed those opposing disorienting sensations.
But as he crossed his legs and sat, he could smell the rich microbial communities in his newly tilled garden soil and felt balance return.
The wartime sacrifice of his sight wasn’t going to rob him of living fully. At that moment, he realized perhaps more fully than he’d ever known.
His father had dug a donut-shape and seated Brian on sod in the center with a trowel and 2 pre-selected seed packages.
Brian wanted sturdy sunflowers so their growth could be witnessed by his flesh as cool shadows, yet his fingertips would not bend them.
His other request was for aroma.
His Dad shed silent tears when Brian proclaimed, “I’d like, too, to plant the sweet alyssum that smells like honey and peace.”