A World of Common Scents/ d’Verse Poetics- Childhood Reminiscence

Here’s how to join in:

• Post a poem of scents to your blog or website.
  • Click on Mr. Linky. Copy and paste the direct link to your poem and add your name.
  • Remember to check the box re: privacy policy.
  • Follow the links to other poets. Read and comment on other poems.  We all appreciate feedback on our poems.
  • Link back to dVerse so others can find us too.
  • Have fun!

Me giving a nervous ‘city slicker’ friend a ride on good ole’ Nugget

Freshly mown hay’s
Sweet aroma wafts
Surrounding a sweaty beast

Interrupted by leather
Stomping the air
Pungently delicious

Saddling a moment
All encompassing,
Nostrils flaring

Recovery secured
Time standing still
Fragrant reminiscence

——
Nothing teleports me back to my happy childhood more immediately than the combined aromas of horse, leather, and hay.

11 thoughts on “A World of Common Scents/ d’Verse Poetics- Childhood Reminiscence

1. writingpresence 08/24/2022 / 5:09 pm

My big sister (#3 of 4, also a Susan) was the only one who rode. She came back from the stables sniffing her hands delightedly “ah, horse!” whereupon my mum insisted “bath!”
    Well-smelled, Susan … coumarin in the hay delights me … I am a botanist and the names of the different grass species is a litany, an incantation, an enchantment …

• Susan St.Pierre 08/24/2022 / 5:15 pm

Oh my! There may truly be something in a name.
      Thank-you very much for the science information involved in the creation of one of the most intoxicating aromas.
      Your poetic inclination obviously comes from a deep love of the natural world. Bravo!

2. pvcann 08/24/2022 / 10:37 pm

You took me there, back to my rural roots, hay, horses and leather, I can smell it. That is one big horse (getting up towards clydesdale size).

• Susan St.Pierre 08/25/2022 / 8:13 am

He was a gentle giant. To be trusted with little girls tells you all you need to know. Thanks!
      Rural roots make for many a steady ‘plant’s. 😉

3. abigfatcanofworms 08/25/2022 / 7:51 am

Oh lovely! The smell of horses is my happy place! And leather is mixed up in that. Thanks for this great reminder!

4. sanaarizvi 08/25/2022 / 10:53 am

This is such a wonderfully poignant write, Susan! I love the scent of leather and the idea of time standing still 😍😍

• Susan St.Pierre 08/27/2022 / 11:03 am

It certainly resonates with people of similar experience. Thanks!