d’Verse Prosery Monday- Bloody Hope

Here’s how to take part in the Prosery Prompt:

– Write a piece of flash fiction or other prose of up to or exactly 144 words, including the given line.
– Post your Prosery piece on your blog and make certain to link back to this post.
– Place the link to your actual post (not your blog or web site) in the Mister Linky site.
– Don’t forget to check the little box to accept use/privacy policy
– Please visit other blogs and comment on their posts!
Remember: You must use that entire given prompt line for your Prosery piece. You may change punctuation and capitalize words, but you are not allowed to insert words between parts of the sentence.
Prompt line:
“For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May”
–From “May Day” by Sara Teasdale
___________________________________________

Bloody Hope

The bloody battle suddenly paused because of an unusual mid-April blizzard.
A tempest of icy crystals obscured visibility to a few feet as the under clothed soldiers huddled in small groups.
Jimmy’s tour-of-duty was due to end in thirteen days but his gut was warning him otherwise.
He felt compelled to scratch a short letter to his mother with numb fingertips and place it in his pocket.

Dear Mother,
We’ve been in a most bitter fight today.
Victory will be ours as soon as a brutal snowstorm lifts and offers my company its due.
Our resolve is solid and my discharge is imminent yet I wanted to let you know my heart is already home.
I am not afraid and I love you.
For how can I be sure I shall see again the world on the first of May?
Your loving son,
James

144-words

20 thoughts on “d’Verse Prosery Monday- Bloody Hope

1. rothpoetry 05/09/2022 / 9:02 pm

Beautifully written story! I love how you wove the prompt in so smoothly.

• rothpoetry 05/10/2022 / 11:16 am

Yes, I agree! I love it when that happens.

2. Carol Congalton 05/09/2022 / 9:13 pm

Perhaps a sad outcome, or not. Maybe he made it home. Either way his family will know that he loved them and that he wasn’t afraid.

3. msjadeli 05/09/2022 / 9:18 pm

Jimmy will get home to see his dear mother. I’m sure of it. Beautiful story especially for anyone who has had a loved one in combat.

4. merrildsmith 05/10/2022 / 9:17 am

I think there have been so many–too many– letters like this. Oh, I hope Jimmy made it home!
    Nicely done!

5. ben Alexander 05/10/2022 / 2:08 pm

Wow, Susan – I love how you broke this into two halves, with the letter being the second part! This is so poignant.

David

6. paeansunplugged 05/10/2022 / 2:22 pm

Oh, that was poignant! I am sure Jimmy was home with his mom on May first.