SoCS- 2/12/22- Fortune- Common Sense is Gold

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is “fortune.” Use it any way you’d like. Enjoy!

As I listen to the news, the Freedom Convoy is taking center stage. The whole dynamic boils down to “working class” people in conflict with “elitist leadership”. Covid-19 offered an opportunity for people, who are ignorant of how things actually work, to impose themselves in a tyrannical manner on people they perceive as stupid and too ‘uneducated’ to consider. The Justin Trudeau and Gavin Newsome types appear to believe a specific thought …”What could those ordinary people possibly say that we don’t already know?”. But surprise! Those elites are finding themselves in a desperate hysterical minority.

This leads me to the ‘fortune’ offered to humans in an invaluable education offered by everyday life. The kind you can’t underline in a textbook or learn in a conference room. A ‘git ‘er done’ attitude gained in rugged individualism. Those fortunate enough to have real life ‘smarts’ are not usually confrontational or belligerent because their interests are quite clearly privately personal. They want to earn a living, raise a family, and do their jobs. Once the administrative state interferes with that, there’s a problem. Our early colonists had crossed the ocean to live just as simply. We all know what happened when the king decided to repeatedly impose himself on the colonists’ ‘right’ to pursue happiness.
This morning’s ‘common man’ topic inspired me also to reflect on the ‘thinkers’ I admire most. It didn’t take me long to realize a common thread. Almost all were raised from humble beginnings and, more poignantly, most have an agrarian background or dabble with farming. There’s an everyday human being inside these folks who has spent a large part of his life independently engaged directly with Nature.
So, I next consider why the ‘ruling class’ has come to be so disconnected from the “common sense” world. I suspect that we might find that their ‘educations’ lacked enough quality time in Nature leaving them imbalanced and arrogant. One need only to spend a fair amount of time outdoors to realize we are not ‘in charge’ of any natural occurrence. Most humility comes directly from that knowledge.
In conclusion, it seems to me, the ‘study of’ things without the ‘experience of’ things leaves a gaping hole, aka blind spot, in any person’s intelligence.
“Educated idiots” actually DO exist.

To further my point, I’ll leave you with one of my favorite movie characters… Carl, the janitor, in The Breakfast Club. 😉

16 thoughts on “SoCS- 2/12/22- Fortune- Common Sense is Gold

1. Sadje 02/12/2022 / 11:57 am

Very true, people are taking this opportunity to rise their voices against the rulers because of the disconnect they feel. They don’t understand the repercussions of their actions.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/12/2022 / 12:14 pm

Thanks, Sadje. The worst part is their arrogance in thinking that they don’t need to understand. 😦

• Sadje 02/12/2022 / 12:32 pm

Exactly right Susan. Half the people are arrogant and the other half is ignorant.

• Sadje 02/12/2022 / 12:40 pm

🧐

2. oneta hayes 02/12/2022 / 12:48 pm

The “intelligencia” who are acting as educators are removed from common sense – nature, farming by a generation or two. I’m not sure above to whom the thread was referring as arrogant or ignorant. Sadly I fear the professors are both.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/12/2022 / 12:53 pm

I agree. And the phrase “I don’t know.” isn’t part of their vocabularies. Thanks, Oneta.

• oneta hayes 02/12/2022 / 12:59 pm

I just finished reading Job. I see well why many of these people chose to say “God doesn’t exist” rather than debate him!

3. Paula Light 02/12/2022 / 1:00 pm

I am increasingly NOT a fan of Governor Newsom 😦

• Susan St.Pierre 02/12/2022 / 1:25 pm

He doesn’t seem to care how you feel, I’m afraid. Thanks for commenting!

• Susan St.Pierre 02/12/2022 / 1:32 pm

Many thanks, Mina. I suspect that more than a few people feel the same. 😉

4. Fuzzy Panda Barista 02/12/2022 / 2:38 pm

Thanks for sharing, Susan. Common sense is just an everyday word for wisdom.

5. JoAnna 02/12/2022 / 9:39 pm

The mainstream media doesn’t help either. It would be good to get back to basics of living close to the earth where it’s easier to find common ground.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/12/2022 / 9:52 pm

The mainstream media are the minions of the elites. Both benefit from dividing us. Thanks.