Eugi’s Weekly Prompt – Happiness – June 24, 2021

See the source image

They named him Happiness, shortened, to Hap.
Ernest, the other, was a most solemn chap.

Hap was gregarious and Ernie was shy.
Opposite natures in twins, “Oh my!”.

The first would be popular,
The other recluse.
To expect different outcomes
Was simply no use.

They never played tricks of trading places,
‘Cuz who people ARE can’t be told by their faces.

Perhaps it was chance, but doubt remains,
If their lives would be different with other names?

Eugi’s Weekly Prompt – Happiness – June 24, 2021 – Eugi’s Causerie (amanpan.com)

18 thoughts on “Eugi’s Weekly Prompt – Happiness – June 24, 2021

1. Mason Bushell 06/24/2021 / 3:54 pm

What a fun way to look at twins. Got some great words in there too. Well done.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/24/2021 / 3:57 pm

Ugh… I just corrected the wrong “their” in the piece. Either I started writing the sentence another way or just had a moment of ‘stupid’! 🤣
      Thank-you Mason!

• Mason Bushell 06/24/2021 / 3:59 pm

My brain doesn’t seem to differentiate between words that sound the same. So, I always have the wrongs ones everywhere!

I love the term ‘moment of stupid’ too lol.

2. Dora 06/24/2021 / 4:45 pm

Haha! That is the cutest picture to go with this verse which I loved!!! But really: how much difference does a name make? I wonder. My music teacher in school named her daughters Honey and Angel cuz naturally you’d sound silly if you took their names “in vain.” 🤔🙂
    pax,
    dora

• Susan St.Pierre 06/24/2021 / 4:56 pm

Sweet names for those babes! I always wanted to name a male dog, ‘Handsome’. I wanted to watch people’s reaction when I hollered, “Come here, Handsome!”. 😀
      Thank you Dora. I think sometimes names do make differences.

3. -Eugenia 06/24/2021 / 5:49 pm

What a delightful verse, Susan! I agree that names do make a difference. Some children don’t like their names and change them when they become adults.

4. Anonymous 06/25/2021 / 2:20 am

Brilliant this one!

5. Lakshmi Bhat 06/25/2021 / 10:36 am

Such a lovely photo. I think they would be who they are whatever their name. Well written.

6. judeitakali 06/30/2021 / 5:42 am

Very intriguing question asked at the end there. Beautiful rhythm too.