Haibun Monday 6-21-21 Solstice – Git ‘er Done

New to haibun? The form consists of one to a few paragraphs of prose—usually written in the present tense—that evoke an experience and are often non-fictional/autobiographical. They may be preceded or followed by one or more haiku—nature-based, using a seasonal image—that complement without directly repeating what the prose stated.

See the source image

There’s something about early daylight that pokes me awake only to bury my head with an extra pillow. The morning must be paused if I’m to go the distance. Drawing shades helps but I know it’s there pressing on my window.
It’s too early to mow. Let’s face it, mowing can be done at an hour that six months earlier would have found me wearing slippers and fluffing bed pillows.
The dogs don’t forget those ‘calling it a day’ hours, though. Seven-thirty pm and they’re asking to go to bed even before waning daylight insists that it’s time to rest.
But, the summer solstice somehow exerts extra pressures on humans to deny sleepiness and ‘git ‘er done’.

Farmers, so hardy.
Endless chores while daylight burns.
In winter, they’ll sleep.

Haibun Monday 6-21-21: Solstice I | dVerse (dversepoets.com)

29 thoughts on “Haibun Monday 6-21-21 Solstice – Git ‘er Done

1. Lucy 06/21/2021 / 7:33 pm

Very beautifully penned! I can imagine winter comes with a much needed and earned sleep. It truly sounds exhausting.

2. Susan Joy Clark 06/21/2021 / 10:17 pm

Very nice, a very pleasant little glimpse into your day. I now wonder how many dogs you have and what breeds. If I mowed at the crack of dawn, the neighbors would be greatly annoyed. 🙂 I assume your situation is different, and you’re more distant from neighbors.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/21/2021 / 10:39 pm

Thank you. I have two dogs. One is my adult son’s and one is mine. My son’s is a lab, shepherd, pittie mix and mine is a hound (black mouthed cur), Rhodesian ridgeback, mix. They were adopted from the same shelter (at different times) and shipped to us from Arkansas to Massachusetts.
      I don’t do my lawn in the morning because it’s too damp with dew. I have family who own farms. We mow at our forest camp as early as we want. Neighbors aren’t too near there. They wouldn’t care and are up early anyway.😊

• Susan Joy Clark 06/21/2021 / 10:43 pm

Thank you for that nice answer. It gives me an even better picture of your life. I am a dog lover and take care of dogs (and sometimes cats) for my animal care business.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/22/2021 / 7:53 am

I see that you’ve authored and illustrated children’s books. I’m interested in do that. I’d love to learn the illustrating secrets. Do you create the drawings then photograph them?
        I don’t know where to begin. 😀

• Susan Joy Clark 06/22/2021 / 8:55 am

I understand. It is a little intimidating. I did traditional drawings with colored pencil and then scanned them for digital copies. I have tried digital illustration (Adobe Illustrator) but don’t feel like my skills there are very strong. I’ve been blessed to have a dad to help me with some of the technical end of things. He helped with the page layouts. I’ve also used acepub.com to do some page layouts, cover design and file conversion for digital books. Hope this helps. 🙂

• Susan St.Pierre 06/22/2021 / 8:58 am

You’re very kind to reply in such detail. Thanks so much!

3. rogblog666 06/22/2021 / 2:51 am

reminds me of living in a small town with a view over farmland. thanks for sharing

4. ben Alexander 06/22/2021 / 3:40 am

Susan, you really made me think about something that I hadn’t considered at all – the human facet of the long days! Thank you so much 🙂

-David

• Susan St.Pierre 06/22/2021 / 9:06 am

Thank you, David.
      I usually praise Nature thoroughly but couldn’t get past the ‘fatigue’ aspect of summer. At least, the heat makes midday activity slow and restful. 😉

5. Ingrid 06/22/2021 / 3:49 am

I think I’m like a farmer: I just can’t sleep at this time of year, but I have a lot of energy anyway. I’m the opposite in winter. Can someone please tell my kids to make like the dogs in your haibun? 😉

6. Ron Rowland 06/22/2021 / 6:11 am

Excellent. The farmer is a special breed. I, too, am getting by on much less sleep this month.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/22/2021 / 7:46 am

Well, the feeling of accomplishment is a great one. Happy and sleepy much go together! Thanks.

7. SelmaMartin 06/22/2021 / 9:00 am

Love the Haibun and tanka wraps this beautifully. Love the image as well. Thanks so much for sharing. (And I’m over the moon happy for the follow. 😢 made my day. TY)

8. Beverly Crawford 06/22/2021 / 12:35 pm

I great up on a farm when chores were done VERY early on hot summer days!

• Susan St.Pierre 06/22/2021 / 12:38 pm

Raking and baling (now bundling) hay is still done in the heat of the day. I hear you about the blessing of work done before the sun’s overhead!!!

9. Susan St.Pierre 06/22/2021 / 3:40 pm

That must be surreal. Your darkness period must also be elongated! Thanks for that reminder. 😉