Friday Fictioneers – 6/18/21

Rochelle has offered us the photo prompt below:

PHOTO PROMPT © Alicia Jamtaas

She’d resided here for four years.
Having made the decision to move, Mama led her young ones deeper into the woods.
A surveyor had walked through their woodlot, two nights before, disturbing the family’s treasured privacy while the sound of machinery had been “closing in” on their reclusive setting for two months. It was time to go.

Mama looked back a final time. The old pumphouse had stood up well in spite of neglect. She felt too old for the abrupt change but reluctantly moved on.

Twelve successful litters, in one safe place, was more than most opossums could claim.

(100 words)

18 June 2021 | Rochelle Wisoff-Fields-Addicted to Purple

See the source image

36 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers – 6/18/21

1. Mason Bushell 06/17/2021 / 1:38 pm

A sweet story of mother opposum doing well. Well done, Susan.

2. Stine Writing 06/17/2021 / 1:48 pm

Aw, I didn’t expect it to be a mama possum! What I was actually picturing was that movie with the mother that has to blindfold her kids to keep them alive…Malorie was the mother’s name…I actually have the book of the sequel but can’t remember the movie’s title.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/17/2021 / 1:52 pm

Sounds creepy and therefore deeply intriguing! If you remember the title, I’d like to know!
      PS… happy my ending was a surprise! Thanks!

• Stine Writing 06/17/2021 / 9:25 pm

I had to search for it….Bird Box. Very strange. I look forward to reading the sequel. I actually have it on audible and have been addicted to listening to books.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/18/2021 / 7:35 am

Thank-you! I haven’t found places where life wasn’t constantly interrupting me. LOL
        Audio books don’t work for me.

• Stine Writing 06/18/2021 / 11:16 am

I couldn’t stand audiobooks until driving from CT to FL with my dad. I got tired of music. I love them now since I listen to them when I walk the dog. The problem I just found was that I started a book the other day but I really don’t like the narrator’s voice. Ugh…I have 5 hours left of listening time so I will stick it out but I will have to avoid other books with this reader. I hope she doesn’t narrate anything good!

• Susan St.Pierre 06/18/2021 / 11:28 am

I hadn’t anticipated that problem. I would have the same trouble, I’m sure. I fill in the blanks with podcasts while walking the dogs. You’ve been very kind to share. 😉

• Dale 06/21/2021 / 12:57 pm

The title of the movie was Bird Box 🙂

3. Shweta Suresh 06/17/2021 / 2:22 pm

I loved the twist at the end! I never expected the mama to be a possum. Great take, Susan!

• Susan St.Pierre 06/17/2021 / 2:24 pm

Oh that’s wonderful! Glad my vague, misleading, prose worked.
      Thank you, Shweta. 😊

4. Dora 06/17/2021 / 2:36 pm

Susan,
    Too cute. Somehow I think she’ll find a new home, she’s that kinda mama. :>)
    pax,
    dora

• Susan St.Pierre 06/17/2021 / 2:48 pm

Thanks Dora.
      I looked up the lifespan of opossums and sadly her Mama days are in their twilight.
      I wanted to use a seven year span but, when it comes to Nature, I always double check my facts! 😉
      Peace,
      Susan

5. James McEwan 06/17/2021 / 3:00 pm

You made me feel a deep sense of regret because of the thoughtless and bullying nature of humans. Although i felt sorry for the opossums, i am sure they are resilient and will survive.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/17/2021 / 3:07 pm

I didn’t mean to imply that the changes were unkind. Change is a part of life, especially for wild animals. If it wasn’t humans who disturbed the opossum, it could have been a fisher or fox.
      Still, the uncertainty from moving from what’s comfortable toward the unknown, is always sad. 😉

6. Brenda's Thoughts 06/17/2021 / 5:56 pm

I loved the twist, a mama possum caring for her young though she was tired. A very sweet story, Susan!

7. Nobbinmaug 06/17/2021 / 6:20 pm

The survival instinct will keep them going. It’s still sad the way we constantly encroach on animal habitats.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/17/2021 / 7:10 pm

Animals are nomadic by nature. The possum found refuge in a manmade structure. Man and animals are not always opposing forces. I think we’re too hard on ourselves and ought to be considered part of life on Planet Earth rather than above it. You’re not alone in your opinion. I just wasn’t presenting the tale with the hope for that kind of interpretation. 😉

8. msjadeli 06/17/2021 / 8:13 pm

A wonderful nature-attuned story! I hope she finds another long-term safe place.

9. rochellewisoff 06/17/2021 / 9:13 pm

Dear Susan,

A sweet story and a clever misdirect. I didn’t see the possums coming. 😀

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Susan St.Pierre 06/17/2021 / 9:18 pm

Thank-you, Rochelle. It pleases me that the ending remained a surprise.
      Peace,
      Susan

10. Laurie Bell 06/18/2021 / 3:27 am

Oh how clever. Mama opossum and babies. Great voice. Well done

11. neilmacdon 06/18/2021 / 5:03 am

The edge of the world gets closer every day

12. Keith's Ramblings 06/18/2021 / 6:22 am

She sounds disappointed but not overly concerned! A delightful tale Susan

13. mjlstories 06/18/2021 / 8:13 am

I thought a fox at first…but then I do love an animal tail/tale! Delightful.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/18/2021 / 8:17 am

You can’t fool ‘nature’ people. LOL Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

14. pennygadd51 06/20/2021 / 12:26 pm

I like the way you describe the impact of human activities on wildlife by personifying the opossum mama.

15. Dale 06/21/2021 / 12:58 pm

She did more than her share for the opossum population. It is sad that wildlife has to go deeper and deeper into the wild or worse, closer and closer to us awful humans.

• Susan St.Pierre 06/21/2021 / 1:09 pm

Well, Mama made excellent use of a human structure so we’re not all that bad. 😉 Thanks.

• Dale 06/21/2021 / 1:30 pm