dVerse Poets Pub~ Exploring the Narrative

The challenge is to write a poem in the voice of a fictional character. It can be any character you like, and you can introduce it in your own voice if you choose (à la Coleridge, though I certainly wouldn’t insist on this) but the main body of the poem must be in the voice of your character.

Life Interrupted

It was hoped-expected- that sons out-live their fathers .
The flashing red lights blinked a desperate scene;
A medic kneeling with trembling hands beside a victim.
On the lawn, lay a young man unresponsive, serene.

“Narcan administered. Checking for the pulse.”
A tsunami of regrets dripping from my chin,
“Danny, wake up! Do it now! It’s Dad.”
I must be professional… panic must not win.

“When had Danny given up?” my brain implored.
“My fault? My fault!” a guardian guilt searched.
A young man gurgled a faint response… one cough.
“Got a pulse!” and the body insulted- disturbed- lurched.

“He’s back.” hands wiping tears, “I’m ready.”
Our chance, a grace of future, better choices.
We lifted the stretcher with my boy, my lucky son,
This out-of-body witness to cataclysmic voices.

Could I muffle the drumbeat defiling manhood,
Unnatural messages invading the viable you?
I would sweep them from a culture proposing
Your value has a color, and shame, this I’d undo!

Good folks, yes many, hold wreckage from nihilism.
Ravaged nests with too many ghosts of innocent ones.
” You’re okay, Dan Man.” the strong, crumbling, EMT whispers,
All fathers refuse to out-live their sons.

If you’d enjoy reading what some excellent poets created from the prompt, click the link immediately below.

Poetics: Exploring the Narrative Voice | dVerse (dversepoets.com)

31 thoughts on “dVerse Poets Pub~ Exploring the Narrative

1. Lucy 05/04/2021 / 10:36 pm

So beautiful, heartbreaking, and strong all in one. Just wow.

• Susan St.Pierre 05/05/2021 / 7:48 am

Wow is always a welcomed response. It was an interesting prompt that stirred those images. Thanks!

2. Helen Dehner 05/04/2021 / 11:06 pm

This is a beautiful write … hitting home for me. I watched my son fading away in the ER in 2018 ~ septic shock which is a death sentence for most . They brought him back ~~~ I vividly recall thinking ‘is this the way I am going to say goodbye to my boy’ … Life is so horribly unpredictable.

• Susan St.Pierre 05/05/2021 / 7:24 am

Oh my. Your heart must have been in tatters. Thank you for sharing and commenting!

3. Ingrid 05/05/2021 / 1:40 am

Oh, thank goodness you brought Dan back from the brink! A thoughtful and adrenaline-filled response to the prompt. I love this line of redemption:

‘Our chance, a grace of future, better choices.’

• Susan St.Pierre 05/05/2021 / 7:21 am

Much appreciated. I don’t think it fits the prompt exactly. I found it difficult but very interesting.

4. Mason Bushell 05/05/2021 / 4:14 am

You made a beautiful, emotional poem there. I love the idea of poems in character. Well done.

• Susan St.Pierre 05/05/2021 / 8:10 am

It was an interesting prompt, Mason. My own translation of what it asked. Thanks!

• Mason Bushell 05/05/2021 / 8:45 am

For sure. never even thought of doing poetry from the point of my characters.

5. Beverly Crawford 05/05/2021 / 11:07 am

This powerful write packs a punch. It is good that father and son have been given an opportunity to build a stronger bond. Good stuff!

6. Dora 05/05/2021 / 11:45 am

Powerful, Susan. Beautifully portrayal of a father’s agony and his joy.

• Susan St.Pierre 05/05/2021 / 11:57 am

Thank you, Dora. I appreciate your analysis very much. ❤

7. rogblog666 05/05/2021 / 2:03 pm

as a father this broke my heart! truly powerful

• Susan St.Pierre 05/05/2021 / 4:15 pm

Thank-you for your very personal response and the sharing of your reaction! Much appreciated.

8. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) 05/05/2021 / 3:11 pm

I love that happy ending, but the intensity of the scene made me be on the edge till the end, but maybe the end is just another beginning trying to overcome his addiction.

• Susan St.Pierre 05/05/2021 / 4:11 pm

Sometimes close calls wake us up. We can only hope that more of these stories end happily. Thanks! 🙂

9. marialberg 05/05/2021 / 5:51 pm

Excellent use of quoted speech in this narrative poem. Vivid and poignant.

10. Tricia Sankey 05/06/2021 / 12:02 am

All the feels reading this! The strong emotion comes through with the narration which adds to the suspense for how it will end. Enjoyed it!

• Susan St.Pierre 05/06/2021 / 8:15 am

I pleased it worked as I had intended. We never know if we’ll be successful when we write! I’m smiling!

11. sanaarizvi 05/06/2021 / 12:14 pm

This is incredibly poignant! I must confess I was on the edge of my seat till the very end.

12. merrildsmith 05/06/2021 / 2:50 pm

So powerful and heartfelt. 💙 I can’t imagine the pain of the father (or son), but I hope this will be a second chance for both of them.