Friday Fictioneers- Al’right Then

The fellas had ‘set’ out on the deck real late last night marveling at the annual river ice retreat.
They agreed that this year wasn’t as bad as last and spent time tagging ‘good stuff’ brought in with the rising water.
Dan got dibs on the wrought iron rails while Larry found some dandy pressure treated pieces to frame his generator bin. They’d check the Lost & Found list at the grocery before using them, though.
Yup, that beer went down al’right too.

They’d probably still be there if they’d bought more beer and had remembered to wear their waders.
(100 words)
Want to see what others wrote on this prompt? Click the link below.
InLinkz – Linkups & Link Parties for Bloggers

Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers and to Dale Rogerson for the photo.

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields-Addicted to Purple | Growing older is inevitable. Growing up is optional.

47 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers- Al’right Then

1. Jen Goldie 04/28/2021 / 3:18 pm

Looks like a darn good spot ta sit. Yeah sue nuff

2. Mason Bushell 04/28/2021 / 3:40 pm

Well done, boys. You made a right old mess of that! Fun story, well done, Susan.

• Susan St.Pierre 04/28/2021 / 3:41 pm

Thanks, Mason. Some folks see disaster while others see a good ole time. lol

• Mason Bushell 04/28/2021 / 5:56 pm

The joy of reading and writing. Everybody see’s the same things completely differently.

3. Dora 04/28/2021 / 5:22 pm

Good friends, good beer, found treasure: what’s to complain? Loved the way you set this up to capture the good-natured comraderie.

• Susan St.Pierre 04/28/2021 / 5:28 pm

Thank you. We’ll hope to be invited next time. lol
      Thanks for following my Blog too.

4. Iain Kelly 04/28/2021 / 6:15 pm

Something refreshing about a story that’s just two old mates sitting having a beer!

5. larry trasciatti 04/28/2021 / 6:50 pm

They know how to enjoy a good time and they’re honest enough gentlemen to check with the lost and found too

6. plaridel 04/28/2021 / 7:43 pm

it’s all about attitude. like they say, if you don’t like it, enjoy your liking.

7. trentpmcd 04/28/2021 / 8:18 pm

“Larry and Dan”? Sounds more like Larry and Darryl, and possibly his other brother Darryl to me. Yeah, if you go out in the rushing melt-water, waders may be in order…

• Susan St.Pierre 04/28/2021 / 8:57 pm

😁 Thanks. Yeah… the Larry and Darryl routine did come to mind. Classic. LOL

• trentpmcd 04/29/2021 / 8:03 am

After I posted that comment I had to look up a few Newhart clips. It’s been ages!

• Susan St.Pierre 04/29/2021 / 8:11 am

Newhart is my all time favorite comic. (Well, Groucho Marx is in a league of his own.) He’s often overlooked. Think I’ll reminisce too.

8. Tannille 04/29/2021 / 2:31 am

Let’s face it, the retreat is really about the beer. For some reason I see Grumpy Old Men. The tales these guys could tell😀.

9. James McEwan 04/29/2021 / 4:00 am

Larry and Dan having their annual outing collecting bits and pieces. I wonder would they bother without the beer?

• Susan St.Pierre 04/29/2021 / 7:37 am

Beer makes every event a little better if sitting and talking is the main event. 😊 After a winter of being shut in, they had some catching up to do, I’m sure.

10. earthskyair 04/29/2021 / 6:32 am

Great depiction of “fellas” doing what fellas do.

• Susan St.Pierre 04/29/2021 / 7:50 am

Thank you. I find male bonding a fascinating topic. They don’t even need to talk as long as they’re sharing an experience.

11. Brenda's Thoughts 04/29/2021 / 1:31 pm

I enjoyed Larry and Dan’s camaraderie very much. The beer, the dibs on the junk (one man’s junk and all), and their “good citizen” side. Fun story, Susan!

12. jenne49 04/29/2021 / 2:40 pm

I’m fascinated by male bonding. And you’ve illustrated it so well in this lovely story, Susan. Down to earth good guys!

13. rochellewisoff 04/30/2021 / 7:09 am

Dear Susan,

Dan and Larry sound like real princes. 😉 And don’t even get me started on set. You set the tone well.

Shalom,

Rochelle

14. pennygadd51 04/30/2021 / 10:24 am

You made me smile, Susan. Nice gentle humour. I enjoyed the voice too.

15. -Eugenia 04/30/2021 / 1:32 pm

Excellent story telling and never a dull moment in your stories. Thanks for following my blog.

16. Nobbinmaug 04/30/2021 / 2:02 pm

That’s a great way to clean up after the storm and find some useful pieces. They might as well have fun with it.

17. ahtdoucette 05/01/2021 / 10:32 am

Now that sounds like a great way to spend an evening! Maybe next year more beer and waders. 😉

18. msjadeli 05/01/2021 / 12:07 pm

Glad they are finding useful things in the water. They sound like good buddies who enjoy spending time together.

19. Dale 05/01/2021 / 12:35 pm

This was great, Susan! Such a fun post and nice of them to check the lost and found before claiming the items (unlike the persons who actually stole these blue chairs off a person’s property! – found out when I posted this on my local FB page!)

• Susan St.Pierre 05/01/2021 / 12:46 pm

oh my! Locals are usually great to each other. We’ve found the casual disregard for the property of others has come mostly from “out of towners” invading from cities and other communities. There’s been an exodus from poorly run cities to our rural areas. Few of those, I’ve witnessed, have any value for property from never owning or maintaining any.

• Dale 05/01/2021 / 12:49 pm

I figure it was kids being bad. When I posted it, I left a joke saying the bar was open. The owner asked me where they were because NO, the bar was NOT open… Oh man…
        But I think you’re right. Locals are usually much better with each other.