Friday Fictioneers- Diversity

Rochelle has offered us another great photo prompt. I enjoy them and hope you’ll check them all out. Follow the link at the end to her page. Happy Friday … April Fools. I jumped the gun. 😉

PHOTO PROMPT © Jennifer Pendergast

“Are you selling those?”
“Yes. Want one?”
“They’re not very diverse.”
“A dog, a cat, and a person is quite diverse. Are you actually talking racial diversity?”
“We need to keep that in mind.”
“I could burn a few and leave a few raw. Or how about I charge different prices?”
“C’mon this is important.”
“They’re cookies for cryin’ out loud. I’ll bet not everyone will think they’re delicious. How’s that for diversity?”
“Now, you’re being ridiculous.”
“Individuals are all different. It doesn’t get more diverse than that.”
“I’ll take those big ones.”
“The man and woman?”
“Ugh… never mind.”

(100 words)
Rochelle Wisoff-Fields-Addicted to Purple | Growing older is inevitable. Growing up is optional.

38 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers- Diversity

1. Dave Williams 04/01/2021 / 9:21 am

Diversity in cookies! That’s a clever idea for two characters to discuss, and the one character makes a good point about burning some and leaving some raw. Otherwise, gingerbread men and gingerbread women and gingerbread everything-else would be the same color if they all traveled on the same cookie pan in the oven.

• Susan St.Pierre 04/01/2021 / 9:30 am

😁 Seems to point out the ridiculous level we’ve reached. Thanks!

2. Iain Kelly 04/01/2021 / 12:51 pm

Of course, if you tried to make them diverse, you would draw complaints from any number of people on both extremes of the arguments. Best just to keep them to yourself and enjoy them!

• Susan St.Pierre 04/01/2021 / 12:54 pm

Or? Ignore complaints. Challenging conventions keeps us honest. Thanks! 😉

3. neilmacdon 04/01/2021 / 1:17 pm

Ah, but do the gingerbread people all have equal chances of being eaten?

• Susan St.Pierre 04/01/2021 / 1:20 pm

Well then, if you believe that we all have equal chances to survive, or not, if we just sit on a tray, then yes. lol

4. jenne49 04/01/2021 / 5:16 pm

What a clever way to discuss our modern dilemma around diversity and equality. Respect for all cookies, I say…as I bite off a head! Such a good wee story.

5. notestowomen 04/01/2021 / 8:06 pm

Susan, this was a very clever story about a sensitive issue we are currently dealing with. This reminds me of someone’s remark that he preferred Halle Berry’s complexion to Serena Williams’ which he likened to burnt toast.

• Susan St.Pierre 04/01/2021 / 8:13 pm

Thanks. I feel like all we have to do is wake up from this nightmare. 😉

6. granonine 04/01/2021 / 9:13 pm

So do we have to say “ginger people” now so as not to offend anyone? You know, there should be some kind of common sense in all of this.

• Susan St.Pierre 04/01/2021 / 9:16 pm

😉 The baker had enough sense for both of them. Thanks for commenting!

7. Dale 04/01/2021 / 10:27 pm

Wonderful way to share the ridiculous we are living in right now!

8. GHLearner 04/02/2021 / 12:25 pm

There’s a lot one could do with icing and chocolate in the dough. Language plays a huge role in discrimination even if the efforts to right these wrongs may get a bit ridiculous at times. 🙂

• Susan St.Pierre 04/02/2021 / 12:28 pm

I like my cookies without the distaste of identity politics all over them. Just sayin’
      Thanks.

9. James McEwan 04/02/2021 / 2:41 pm

Some people will argue over the price of nothing and still expect to win.

Controversially funny.

• Susan St.Pierre 04/02/2021 / 3:43 pm

😁 Thanks. You’re right… I think it’s all about arguing. Too bad arguing doesn’t burn calories!

10. athling2001 04/02/2021 / 3:47 pm

Lovely – love it. And, sadly, I know people who would argue the same.

11. Nobbinmaug 04/02/2021 / 8:01 pm

“Individuals are all different. It doesn’t get more diverse than that.” Exactly! This is a good allegory for how ridiculously out of hand we’ve gotten. At this point, we’re too focused on our differences to allow our similarities to bring us together. I almost included a joke about gender-neutral, inclusive red-headed, freckled bread folk, but there is a word limit.

12. plaridel 04/03/2021 / 12:06 pm

regardles of shapes and colors, it’s best to remember they come from the same dough.

13. Brenda's Thoughts 04/03/2021 / 4:38 pm

I really enjoyed the dialogue and the baker kept their cool. Just wanted to sell some cookies. Well done! =)

14. msjadeli 04/03/2021 / 8:11 pm

Your story generated a lot of good comments. I like what Plaridel said.

15. rochellewisoff 04/04/2021 / 8:58 am

Dear Susan,

I love the way you put it into perspective. When it comes to cookies, in my mind, they’re all equal. 😉 Good one.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Susan St.Pierre 04/04/2021 / 9:39 am

Much appreciated! I think we can agree that when it comes to people, we’re all equal too. Peace!

16. Laurie Bell 04/04/2021 / 6:20 pm

LOL this is funny!
    As long as they are yummy who cares what they look like. Mine always come out as amorphous blobs anyway hahaha

17. elmowrites 04/06/2021 / 1:18 pm

Glad both sides managed to keep their cool and focus on the end goal!