d’Verse Poets Pub- Winter

Winter is a silent mysterious stranger.
A man who knows nothing- but has shining eyes-
Crystals of frozen secrets.
He grasps where everything’s buried.

Tightly held in whirling frigid air
The colors he robs -in an icy fingered fist-
Cleverly purloined hues – one great pause.
No remorse in the conqueror.

Or perhaps, she’s a tender woman
Rocking her babes- against her bosom-
A dormant slumber- caressed by shushing breaths-
Bundled and held precious.

Soft lips blowing out the light.
Quieting the night- pristine whiteness-
Winter’s loving embrace -twinkling frosty hopes-
A guardian of her tomorrows.

He stands in the shadows.
She never speaks.
Both or neither,
It’s not for us to know.

Inspired by:
Wallace Stevens’ The Snow Man
Poetics: Beyond Meaning or The Resolution of Opposites | dVerse (dversepoets.com)

17 thoughts on “d’Verse Poets Pub- Winter

1. striver1 02/24/2021 / 8:34 am

Isn’t the idea that we know one’s perspective is consequential.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/24/2021 / 8:58 am

What it IS in reality has nothing to do with what we’re capable of knowing. (We are not privileged to know the grand design of Nature. )The paradox of gender and whether it has cruel or kind purposes is unknowable. It’s both or neither or subject to debate.
      I had many interferences to the creation of this one! UGH!

2. Laura Bloomsbury 02/24/2021 / 9:23 am

I like the personification you made here in two forms yet you kept the non-person/impersonal that Wallace Stevens invokes in his poem. Bravo! thank you for joining the prompt

3. essence 02/24/2021 / 12:17 pm

This is unbelievably beautiful. I’m so taken by this.

4. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) 02/24/2021 / 3:31 pm

Winter wears the masks that we ask him (or her) to wear. Maybe we just have to decide what we want from the cold.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/24/2021 / 3:51 pm

Perception is always the key. I love winter on its own terms. Thanks for commenting!

5. msjadeli 02/24/2021 / 3:34 pm

You told this so well and especially the conclusion you draw at the end. You, the snow, the silent observer, sees all.

• msjadeli 02/24/2021 / 4:43 pm

You’re welcome.

6. robtkistner 02/24/2021 / 5:58 pm

Oh, this was engaging — stirred my thinking.

7. calmkate 02/24/2021 / 8:43 pm

yes the snow as objective observer, the duality of gender .. one that made me think!

Got here via Mr Linky … this blog name is not coming up in my searches either

8. M Jay Dixit 02/25/2021 / 3:41 am

Oh dear, the contrast between those two images is so stark!

The man who robs colors with his cold fists and holds icy crystal secrets,that was very amazing!

• Susan St.Pierre 02/25/2021 / 7:11 am

The only thing I regret is making the male the ‘bad guy’. That’s a bit too cliche’.
      Thanks!

• M Jay Dixit 02/25/2021 / 8:03 am

Don’t sweat it. It’s a great piece of poetry and I don’t think anyone would think of it that way, like I didn’t!🙂