Six Sentence Story: Kaleidoscope

Rules of the hop:
Write 6 Sentences. No more. No less.
Use the current week’s prompt word.
Return here, link your post Wednesday night through Saturday late…
Spread the word and put in a good one to your fellow writers 😀

PROMPT WORD:  KALEIDOSCOPE

“Mommy, why is seven always blue and six always yellow? ” was the last question that Simon, age 8, ever asked about SUCH things because the consideration that he was crazy had formed, and was confirmed, by his mother’s predictable answer of “They’re NOT!”… a notion, like that, had to be hidden.
But numbers DID have their own specific colors, he could “see” them in his head: a kaleidoscope of repeated colors and patterns, and those numbers occupied space in a constant three dimensional realm!

Young Simon decided to bury any curiosity about his “nonconformity” forever.

It was his 4-year-old granddaughter’s announcement, that she would be five soon and “being pink” would make her happier than “green four” did, that exhumed a part of Simon he had secretly longed to explain, and at age 63, he formed a new notion… he was not an anomaly, and not, crazy.
With the help of the internet, he found those lifelong answers and breathed a validating sigh, because Simon, and subsequently his granddaughter, had a gift known as synesthesia which can take many forms but is NOT a kind of insanity.
A month later, Grandpa gave his birthday girl, who was an heiress to his nonconformity, a two foot tall plush pink pillow in the shape of a number 5.

{  A person with synesthesia, a condition in which the normally separate senses are not separate. Sight may mingle with sound, taste with touch, etc. The senses are cross-wired. For example, when a digit-color synesthete sees or just thinks of a number, the number appears with a color film over it.}
For further investigation: Synesthesia | Psychology Today

PS… I was 60 before I found, and figured, out that I have Spatial Sequence Synesthesia. Validating doesn’t even begin to explain that discovery. 😉

Sunday’s Six Sentence Story Word Prompt! – GirlieOnTheEdge’s Blog (wordpress.com)

image-1

36 thoughts on “Six Sentence Story: Kaleidoscope

1. GirlieOnTheEdge 02/17/2021 / 9:02 pm

Excellent Six.
    Thank you for the explanation about synesthesia and providing a link. I’d never heard of this condition. Fascinating.
    As your story demonstrates, it must be hugely frustrating for a child and stressful for parents.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/17/2021 / 9:13 pm

You’re welcome! Little kids can be identified by a knowledgeable adult catching unusual word clues. Many think it’s only ordinary imagination. 😉

2. Romi 02/17/2021 / 10:42 pm

Each of us perceives the world differently, and we need to appreciate and respect these unique gifts.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 8:04 am

Certainly… our minds have their own “taste buds”.

3. Joyce P Lansky 02/17/2021 / 11:40 pm

This is a great story! I read a novel about a girl who has synesthesia and was wondering if that was the basis of the story, early on. Love it!

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 7:37 am

Thanks! What was the name of the novel? Sounds interesting.

4. The Vintage Toy Advertiser 02/18/2021 / 1:46 am

Well-told through the eyes of the girl and her gramps. With that huge jump between young and older Simon, you wonder how he quietly processed his colours in everyday life in those intervening years. And then the revelation of finding info on the net, and knowing they are not alone.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 7:36 am

Wish I’d known about synesthesia earlier and asked my grandparents. 😉

5. Avia Morrow 02/18/2021 / 3:05 am

Wow, what a great post–educational and heartwarming both ❤

6. Chris Hall 02/18/2021 / 3:12 am

I’ve come across synesthesia before, but not anyone who actually has that particular gift. Nicely done!

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 7:46 am

I think there’s an assortment of people who are unaware that they have it. I was 60 before I found out, Wish I’d had the opportunity to ask my grandparents.

• Chris Hall 02/18/2021 / 8:33 am

That would have been interesting. I’d love to hear more about your experience and how it affects your writing. 🙂

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 8:47 am

It probably affects my writing, memory, and other processing but I can tell you it had a tragic affect on my ability to succeed in math class!

7. clark 02/18/2021 / 7:41 am

very enjoyable Six!
    It was a total dual threat: a) an engaging story spanning generations while connecting the very young with the very old, and 2) way interesting core subject/narrative foundation

To cite another writer (lol)
    “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy, yo”

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 7:57 am

🙂 Thank you.
      Perfect quote from the “master”. 😉

8. purplestoneblog 02/18/2021 / 8:03 am

wow. i just recently read about seeing numbers in colors. good six.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 8:06 am

There are many other types of synesthesia too. Thanks for stopping by!

9. UP 02/18/2021 / 8:19 am

synesthesia- i was reading about this last week. Thans for the additional information. Good, informative six.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 8:21 am

Pleased to get the word out while I’m having fun. Thank you.

10. Frank Hubeny 02/18/2021 / 5:42 pm

I’ve heard of synesthesia before. It is good to have one’s experiences validated or explained in a meaningful way.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/18/2021 / 8:16 pm

Oh… I’m sorry to have missed that d’Verse prompt! Thanks.

11. purplepeninportland 02/18/2021 / 9:13 pm

Love the story. Synesthesia is an amazing quality to have. I try to use it in my poetry at times.

12. messymimi's meanderings 02/18/2021 / 9:46 pm

Excellent story! Yes, i’ve heard of this, and it is not insanity. It’s sad when those who do not understand try to suppress it.

• Susan St.Pierre 02/19/2021 / 7:25 am

I don’t believe for a moment people who don’t know about synesthesia are trying to suppress it. They just don’t understand it. Simon decided he was crazy. His mother didn’t call him crazy… she just couldn’t see what he saw. 😉

13. TheHiddenEdge 02/20/2021 / 1:15 pm

I had no idea – never heard of this – gosh I’m now off to research – damn so much housework, I should be doing!!! 🤣

• Susan St.Pierre 02/20/2021 / 1:40 pm

It’s a fascinating topic and research on it is rather new. Glad to spread the word. 😀

14. Liz H 02/20/2021 / 2:04 pm

My grown son experiences synesthesia between sound and color. I get it in feeling, but not in the intense very visual way he processes. It’s not weird!

• Susan St.Pierre 02/20/2021 / 2:28 pm

Well, I think my own type of Spatial Sequence Synesthesia is weird but I enjoy that label immensely! 😀

• Liz H 02/20/2021 / 2:47 pm

I wear mine proudly, as well. 😀

15. Lisa Tomey 02/21/2021 / 8:21 pm

How interesting! I may have to write a poem about it.