Alphabet Sestet: Stand Up

The dVerse Poets Pub prompt for today asked us to create a poem using 6 consecutive letters of the alphabet…an Alphabet Sestet.

May 2010 first soccer ever 004

Junk food tastes better
Knowing it’s forbidden.
Like trying harder when you’re told
Morons, like you, never succeed.
Not being a doormat
Only requires standing up.

22 thoughts on “Alphabet Sestet: Stand Up

1. Dorianna 09/13/2018 / 9:36 pm

When my mother would tell me I couldn’t do something in her critical voice I was always able to prove her wrong…yes, all you have to do is stand up.

2. Singledust 09/14/2018 / 2:33 am

i like the triumph at the end proving those naysayers wrong – junk food of course tastes better when Mum says NO!

3. lillian 09/14/2018 / 8:22 am

LOVE it! There is power in leaning in to hear our voices heard….and standing up too! Have you heard of the BYOC pins? They’re sold on Etsy and I read about them when the winners of our primary elections were announced in Boston. An African American woman handily beat a 20 year veteran for a seat in the House of Representatives. She will be the first African American to represent MA in Congress….there is no one running against her in November. The pin was noticed on her lapel. It was a gift to her. It has a folding chair drawn on it and says BYOC. It comes from Shirley Chisholm, the first African American woman every elected to Congress when she famously said (and I may not have her exact words)….If they won’t let you sit at the table, bring your own folding chair! 🙂 Love the affirming power of your post here! So glad you decided to A-B-C with me! 🙂

• Susan St.Pierre 09/14/2018 / 2:43 pm

I’m going to get some of those pins for my granddaughters and other kids too! Thank you kindly for your informative and inspiring comment!

4. Beverly Crawford 09/14/2018 / 12:34 pm

“Not being a doormat only requires standing up” … A credo to remember!

• Susan St.Pierre 09/14/2018 / 2:45 pm

Thanks… not being a willing victim is the best defense known.

5. Frank Hubeny 09/14/2018 / 1:14 pm

I like the observations about morons and being a doormat.

6. Glenn Buttkus 09/14/2018 / 5:04 pm

You raised two salient points, and rocked the prompt. Kind of put me in mind of the problems with bullying.

• Susan St.Pierre 09/15/2018 / 12:54 pm

Thanks. Arming kids against bullying seems a good strategy.😉

7. Mish 09/14/2018 / 8:56 pm

A universal message to all and especially those who have suffered abuse.

8. Victoria Stuart 09/15/2018 / 8:19 pm

I love the way you’ve written this sestet. These words really resonate, cause everything “…tastes better
    Knowing it’s forbidden”. Great observation and I love the photo, as well.

9. lynn__ 09/16/2018 / 9:53 pm

A strong will has it’s advantages…