What to do? Give yourself a “noogy”.

The worst thing that we can tell ourselves is “I can’t”. My granddaughter was using the phrase so often that I began giving her a signal, in the form of a “noogy”, every time that it left her lips. Not sure about the proper spelling but a noogy is that irritating rub of the knuckles on top of someone’s head. It has become a ritual and I have been the recipient of a few noogies myself.

I am  constantly searching for projects. Being creative is a lifestyle and, once you “buy in”, there’s an appetite to satisfy. This appetite is for something new and exciting.

Well, I suggest when there is a lull in your projects to revisit those that you may have filed under the heading,”I can’t”.

Years ago I spent a short time sketching caricatures of my day care kids. It was a fling that I had not recalled until I browsed through some old photos. My “passion”, at that time, was to dabble in the art of illustrating children’s books.

I am going to give myself a noogy and try it again.

Here is what I had done and dismissed.

9 thoughts on “What to do? Give yourself a “noogy”.

1. lifengaged 06/15/2012 / 8:00 am

You know you can-practice,practice,practice-sit with a sketch book in easy reach and go for it.

• Susan 06/15/2012 / 10:57 am

Yes, I will…thanks.

2. mountainmae 06/15/2012 / 10:05 am

First keep drawing to please yourself- others opinions don’t matter (even mine.) Second it concerns me that the phrase “I can’t” could be inadvertently connected with the friendly noogy as a positive attention. Please remember to hug or applaud when “I can” is said. As you can probably guess I have spent my live struggling against I can’t.

• Susan 06/15/2012 / 10:59 am

Wonderful advice…the noogy when applied to “I can’t” mentions as a friendly reminder of the number of times we say it without realizing that we do. 🙂

3. Jamie Dedes 06/15/2012 / 11:07 am

These are charming and – you know – like anything else we get better over time. I think your love of children is evident in these. They might be called: sadness, joy, rest, aggression … or, at least that what the appear to be to me

Nicely done, dear unSilly Frong Susan. Wise Frog …

Happy Friday. Have a wonderful weekend.

• Susan 06/18/2012 / 7:06 am

It was a very busy weekend…thanks!

4. mskatykins 06/16/2012 / 3:26 pm

Fab pictures and fab frog! 🙂 I love being creative and I love challenging myself in new ways, even if it turns out I’m not all that great at whatever it is that I’m doing.

Keep drawing! 🙂