NATURE KNOWLEDGE: Dragonfly

There are many myths and proverbs about this delicate insect. They exist all over the world and are arguably the true “mankind’s best friend”. They eat mosquito larvae and adults in huge quantities.

http://www.dragonfly-site.com  (Paste this link into your browser for some fun information on those myths.)

The dragonfly spends most of its life as a nymph. They hatch from eggs in ponds and eat like crazy. These nymphs resemble underwater “wormy bugs”. A dragonfly can eat amounts equal to its own weight in 30 minutes. They simply eat anything that moves.

As beautiful and delicate as they are, these little “buggers” are fierce predators. Even as adults, few insects can evade them. I just read on an informational site that from fossil records there were some huge varieties “back in the day”. If their temperament and appetite corresponded with our dragonflies, and they lived today, our cats and small dogs might well be disappearing.

They are cousins of the tinier damselflies. Damselflies can easily be distinguished from dragonflies by the way they hold their wings along their “needle-like” bodies when at rest. They were referred to as “sewing needles” when I was a kid and we’d run from them in fear of our mouths being sewn shut!

Damselfly

I hadn’t realized that photographing Nature was an endurance sport until I chased these guys around to try for a capture. Next time I see either of the above insects, I’m going to say,”Thanks and keep up the mosquito dining!”

…and to mosquitoes, “Sucks to be you when dragonflies are in town!”

17 thoughts on “NATURE KNOWLEDGE: Dragonfly

1. pkhawk 06/07/2012 / 7:33 am

Susan, do you by any chance have any photos of the orange or red dragonflies? If not, I have a few that I took back in 2009. I would be glad to send one to you by e-mail, if you would like to add that variety to your blog.

• Susan 06/07/2012 / 8:05 am

Dear, dear Helen…your patience must be exceptional if you’ve got photos like that! They are hard to get. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and agree the variety would be special but want to keep the posts as close to my own as I can. (Just in case I want to round them together for a book or pamphlet in the future.) Thanks for your kind offer.~Susan

2. allthingsboys 06/07/2012 / 7:54 am

Love your photos! Great post! We have a tiny solid black damsel fly I keep trying to get w/o success, great job!

• Susan 06/07/2012 / 8:06 am

Put those running shoes on…good luck! Thanks!

3. suzicate 06/07/2012 / 11:04 am

Fabulous photos of these difficult subjects!

• Susan 06/07/2012 / 11:23 am

Thanks…if one keeps trying, sometimes they are rewarded. 😉

4. P.S. I Love Soap Co. 06/07/2012 / 2:14 pm

I had no idea that eat mosquito’s…For the past few years when my husband and I sit outside and we look above our heads there are probably 50 to a hundred dragonfly’s ….. Which now i know is GOOD!:) thanks for the share…

• Susan 06/07/2012 / 5:09 pm

Great to hear that my post helped. Thanks for your faithful following.~Susan

• P.S. I Love Soap Co. 06/08/2012 / 6:15 am